Sunday 5 August 2012

Overwhelmed

Sunday evening. Time to prepare for the week ahead. Only on this Sunday evening I've been struck with a feeling of complete and overwhelming panic. It feels like my ever growing to-do list has grown into a giant monster that threatens to swallow me whole. My mind rushes at a million miles an hour when I think of all the things that need to be done. And as fast as I check something off the list, there are a multitude of things to take its place. How do I live a productive and fulfilled life without freaking out every ten minuets because I can't do everything that needs to be done? Note to self - time management Jo, it's called time management.

Yet just because I'm completely overwhelmed in this feeling of inadequacy, I'm choosing to embrace it. Because this is a place where I can't live in my own strength. I need Him. I need His grace. I have to lay down my inadequacies and hang-ups and cast those worries onto Jesus. Because he can handle the things that scare me and overwhelm my soul. 


Let's face it, I can't do everything. Perfection is unattainable. Yet in His perfect love, He extends grace to my momentary freak-outs when life feels too much for me to handle. But these moments are good, they're important. Because they make me seek a little change of perspective. 

O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer! From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety, for you are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. Let me live forever in your sanctuary, safe beneath the shelter of your wings! // Psalm 61:1-4

1 comment:

  1. Spot on. I feel like I'm there every other week :P This is a great verse to remember.

    ReplyDelete